Department of Integrated Neuroscience
I use non-invasive techniques such as fMRI and event-related potentials (ERP) to study higher human brain functions, with particular interest in the neurobiological foundations of music. I have also conducted some behavioral experiments with non-human primates in earlier years of my graduate school.
Education and academic appointments
||B.S., Biological Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
||Ph.D., Biological Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
||Research Fellow (Doctor Course), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
||Research Fellow (Postdoctoral), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
||Assistant Professor, University of Niigata
Human brain functions
- Itoh, K., Nakada, T. Human brain detects short-time nonlinear predictability in the temporal fine structure of deterministic chaotic sounds. Physical Review E (in press)
- Itoh, K., Okumiya-Kanke, Y., Nakayama, Y., Kwee, I.L., Nakada, T. Effects of musical training on the early auditory cortical representation of pitch transitions as indexed by change-N1. European Journal of Neuroscience Dec;36(11):3580-92, 2012
- Tateuchi, T., Itoh, K., Nakada, T. Neural mechanisms underlying the orienting response to subject’s own name: an event related potential study. Psychophysiology 49(6):786-91, 2012.
- Izumi, S., Itoh, K., Matsuzawa, H., Takahashi, S., Kwee, I.L., Nakada, T. Functional asymmetry in primary auditory cortex for processing musical sounds: temporal pattern analysis of fMRI time series. Neuroreport Jul 13;22(10):470-3, 2011.
- Itoh, K., Suwazono, S., Nakada, T. Central auditory processing of noncontextual consonance in music: an evoked potential study. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 128(6), 3781-3787, 2010.
- Itoh, K., Kitamura, H., Fujii, Y., Nakada, T. Neural substrates for visual pattern recognition learning in igo. Brain Research 1227, 162-1173, 2008.
- Kobayashi, N., Itoh, K., Suzuki, K., Kwee, I.L., Nakada, T. Natural preference in luminosity for frame composition. Neuroreport. 18(11), 1137-1140, 2007.
- Itoh, K., Fujii, Y., Kwee I.L., Nakada, T. MT+/V5 activation without conscious motion perception: a high-field fMRI study. Magnetic Resonance in Medical Sciences 4(2), 69-74, 2005.
- Itoh, K., Suwazono, S., Arao, H., Miyazaki, K., Nakada, T. Electrophysiological correlates of absolute pitch and relative pitch. Cerebral Cortex 15(6), 760-769, 2005.
- Huang, K., Itoh, K., Suwazono, S., Nakada, T. Electrophysiological correlates of grapheme-phoneme conversion. Neuroscience Letters 366(3), 254-258, 2004.
- Itoh, K., Suwazono, S., Nakada, T. Cortical processing of musical consonance: an evoked potential study. Neuroreport 14(18), 2303-2306, 2003. `
- Itoh, K., Miyazaki, K., Nakada, T. Ear advantage and consonance of dichotic pitch intervals in absolute-pitch possessors. Brain and Cognition 53(3), 464-471, 2003.
- Itoh, K., Fujii, Y., Suzuki, K., Nakada, T. Asymmetry of parietal lobe activation during piano performance: a high field functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Neuroscience Letters 309(1), 41-44, 2001.
Non-human primate behavior
- Itoh, K. Izumi A. Affiliative bonding as a dynamical process: a view from ethology (invited commentary). Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 28(3), 355-356, 2005.
- Itoh, K. Personality research with non-human primates: theoretical formulation and methods. Primates 43(3), 249-261, 2002.
- Itoh, K. Assessment of individual differences in the preferred proximity to a human feeder by partitioned raisin test, with two species of macaque monkeys. Primates 42(1), 47-56, 2001.
- Itoh, K., Izumi, A., Kojima, S. Object discrimination learning in aged Japanese monkeys. Behavioral Neuroscience 115(2), 259-270, 2001.
- Itoh, K., Suwazono, S., Nakada, T. Two-stage auditory processing of non-contextual consonance in music: Peripheral and central mechanisms. Society for Neuroscience, Chicago, U.S.A., 2009.10.19.
- Nakada, T., Itoh, K., Suzuki, K., Terumitsu, M., Kwee, I.L. One-shot real-time functional MRI: Next generation fMRI. American Academy of Neurology 61st Annual Meeting, Seattle, U.S.A., 2009.4.30.
- Itoh, K., Suwazono, S., Nakada, T. Cortical processing of consonance of pure-tone dyads: an evoked potential study. The 10th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Sapporo, Japan, 2008.8.27.
- Kobayashi, N., Itoh, K., Suzuki, K., Nakamura. Y., Nakada, T. Natural preference in luminosity for scene schema definition. Society for Neuroscience, Atlanta, U.S.A., 2006, October.
- Itoh，K., Fujii, Y., Kwee IL, Nakada, T. MT+/V5 activation is necessary but insufficient for conscious motion perception: subliminal perception? Program No. 200.5, Society for Neuroscience, San Diego, U.S.A., 2004, October.
- Itoh, K., Fujii, Y., Suzuki, K., Nakada, T. Left parietal lobe dominance during piano performance: an fMRI study. International Symposium on the Neuroscience of Music 1999, Niigata, Japan, 1999, October.
- Itoh, K. Development of theater-box test to assess sensation seeking in monkeys. The Seventh Meeting of the International Society for the Study of Individual Differences, Aarhus, Denmark, 1997, July.
I play principal clarinet in Niigata Symphony Orchestra, which was founded in 1931. We regularly participat in la Folle Journee de Niigata.
Center for Integrated Human Brain Science